Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Resurrection

i don't have any real reason for abandoning my blog back in december. i guess suffice it to say that i just had more important things to do in the last six months than blog about fashion. but i'm back. with a new background .jpg (with which i might get bored quickly). & officially including Capitol Letters in my blog posts.

HERE I AM

in keeping with the cliche theme of resurrection & renaissance i am going to discuss, as per usual, history & age, but in the context of clothing in a general sense. though my closet has been periodically eradicated of old & unnecessary items, maybe 40% of all the clothing i own was amassed prior to my high school career, by me or by my mother. as it is in my maternal genes to hoard, her own collection of clothing from the 80s & 90s has been passed to me & subsequently has experienced its own revival. but these items are nothing outrageous - ill-fitting sweaters, random banana republic tees, outrageously small belts (sux 2 have a mother who was a ballerina), a betsey johnson cocktail dress, a denim button down, etc. but now, here in 2011, enough time has passed to put items like her floor-length linen dresses & square-toed heels back on the map. i have noticed the same thing of my own clothes. in the ninth grade i bought a pink dress that hits me mid-shin complete with buttons & a lace v-neck, & though i wore it back then, i rather quickly decided its time had expired. however, i never got rid of it, & it has been sitting at the back of my closet for years. suddenly, with the recent resurgence of the 70s & my new-found acceptance of long skirts, i found myself wearing it a week ago. nowadays i have a problem with it falling so as to expose gratuitous cleavage, but it is nonetheless now a viable option rather than a reject in my closet. this has me thinking 1. that it's time to revisit the collection of dresses hanging in the random closet full of shoeboxes, christmas giftbags, & aged clothing located discretely/awkwardly in my brother's bedroom to see what else of mine & my mother's i can uncover & resurrect.
considering the last of the Harry Potter movies was released yesterday, it only makes sense that i am now old enough to have experienced a full circular revolution of fashion trends. (pictured left: me at the seventh book release in 2007) the movie's release signifies the culmination & termination of my youth, officially. i'd like to think that it does so for me & my friends moreso than those even one year older or younger than i. in order to complete my Luna Lovegood costume, i had to break out my converse hightops from my infamous Band Shirt Phase, & my outfit was comprised of clothing purchased between eighth grade and tenth grade (pictured right). granted, ninth & tenth grade weren't extraordinarily long ago, but i still think it symbolic of the fact my entire adolescence was actively tied to harry potter. & with that cliched & rather forced fashion metaphor i will end this blog post.

lYk3 v0Ld3M0rT i H4v3 rEtuRN3d!!~

1 comment: